The K2 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1924 as the first national telephone box. The shape of the arched roof and supporting pillars is based on John Soame’s Mausoleum in Old St Pancras churchyard and an homage to the great architect. Between 1926 and 1935 some 1,700 of these boxes were built, with many of the earliest ones installed in Clerkenwell. Few exist outside of London and of the remaining 200, all are grade II listed. The inflatable textile installation used air pressure alone to secure it to the box, ensuring there was no damage to the historic structure inside.